Subject: [Leica] Re: Hasselblad
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Wed Oct 20 15:39:33 2004

> Besides that - to make a perfect digital soloution would it not be better
> design lenses for digital purpose rather then do workarounds to make old
> film-lenses work wit digital backs?
>
> all the best
>
> Ruben

I'm not sure of the need for "digital" lenses just like "digital" speakers
or "digital" camera bags.

This thing about all the rays traveling straight back is said to be baloney
as it's not really even possible.

An image circle to more carefully match a format sure...
A smaller image circle gives you an easier to design more compact, lighter
sharper lens. But I'm not at all sure that it otherwise needs to be
digitally "attuned". And analog glass except for Ultrawide seems to be just
honky dory for a CCD.

If Hasselblad with Imacon cant come out with an affordable digital back for
it's existing system someone else shortly will.

And just like with the Leica R8/9 other flagship cameras of other companies
might be designed to be both analog and digital with the use of a back and a
body which would not be all that different if it were to be just for film.

I say that because it is being discussed that the Leica R8 was designed with
the digital back in mind from square peg one.

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland Oregon
http://rabinergroup.com/