Subject: [Leica] Recent Leica 90/2.8 - Seeking Comments and Advice
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Wed Oct 20 19:37:58 2004

On 10/20/04 7:50 AM, "Aaron Sandler" <aaron.sandler@duke.edu> typed:

> Scott,
>
> I _love_ my recent 90/2.8.  My only wish is that it weighed less.  This is
> not a large lens, but it isn't light either.  Sometimes I leave it behind
> for the weight, but never if I'm going to a wedding or somewhere I want to
> shoot candid portraits.  I love it for portraits.  This from someone who
> worshipped the Nikon 105/2.5...until I rented the Leica for a weekend and I
> saw the light...figuratively and literally.  ;)

Its a hard lens to convince yourself to casually bring along with you.
Compared to the average Leica lens it's just quite heavy and not small.
I use my for Portrait work, people on the backdrop. Fashion.
I got the ASPH Summicron but kept the Elmarit as I need one 90 on each of
two bodies.

I shoot a lot with Nikons, short teles of every variety. AI, AF. AFD, Zooms
silent wave and enjoy it getting what I think of as great results.

But what I get from my 90 Elmarit I feel is a step up from anything Nikon.
And I like composing for what's NOT in the frame more so than what's in it.
And love seeing the whole frame in one glance like that.
Extreme High eye point!

Also it's nice watching the flash go off in the frame.
You know when you've got the shot.
It's burnt itself into your brain.

Mark Rabiner
Photography