Subject: [Leica] RE: Leica M4-2
From: feli2 at earthlink.net (feli)
Date: Tue Oct 26 14:49:35 2004

So, Ted, do you think that someone like Eugene Smith, who was notorious
for showing up with massive amounts of gear, which he matched to the
assignment at hand, and knew every trick in the book as far as printing
and developing is concerned, was merely an artsy fartsy dilettante who
spent to much time playing with himself, instead of taking great
pictures?

I know you have been doing this professionally for 50 years, but I do
not understand why you seemingly always dismiss any technical or
artistic ambition, beyond lining up the blinking lights in the
viewfinder as amateurish flim flam.

I'm not a working PJ, but I do work professionally with film and
cameras in the movie business. I do not see how it is possible to
achieve the best work possible, if you have not mastered the tools and
technical skills of your craft. If you do not do so I do not see how it
is possible for you to achieve the best of ones artistic ability and
over come any difficulties one will encounter in the field.

Sorry, but this does not make any sense to me.

Feli