Subject: [Leica] What should a photo release look like?
From: timatherton at theedge.ca (Tim Atherton)
Date: Thu Oct 28 17:04:18 2004

> Adam,
>
> I'd have them retype the Agreement with changes. If this in not
> possible for some reason than anything you cross out initial and
> have the publisher initial as well. Two originals both crossed
> out as necessary, initialed and signed.
>
> Regards,
>
> Greg

Absolutely

There are a whole slew of forms here

http://www.asmp.org/membersarea/forms.php

and also here:

http://www.editorialphoto.com/forms/

http://www.editorialphoto.com/resources/glossary.asp

http://www.editorialphoto.com/resources/stock.asp

http://www.editorialphoto.com/resources/faq.asp#anchor14

http://www.editorialphoto.com/resources/faq.asp

Basically you need a front side saying who you are licensing to, what you
are licensing and the actual limitations of the license

e.g. (and you would have to research the exact terminology) N american (or
worldwide) print use only for first edition (or print run) of the book used
xyz size as authors photo.

Also you would have to decide (and define) and secondary uses - web use on
their website in association with this particular book. Advertising for this
particular book (eg in their catalogue, handouts to booksellers etc).

The publisher will most likely want the broadest uses they can get, through
the universe for ever etc etc if they are like most publishers I've ever
dealt with.... (actually Oxford University Press are good - paid going
rates, last time used one small image and without being asked sent me three
copies of a massive geography textbook on Canada which I'm now trying to
find homes for!)

tim