Subject: [Leica] LEICA SEMINAR! 2004 :-)
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Sun Oct 31 22:25:13 2004

ted said:
>>Thank you for the kind comments on my digi prints, as I do them as simply
>>as I shoot digital. The more I do everything on "automatic whatever", the
>>easier it's become and the results have got better! ;-)  I know it just
>>drives the techies crazy! Love it! :-)

Tina Manley responded:
> But your "automatic" is everybody else's "think about this and then set it
> the way it should be for the light"  I speak to college photography
> classes all the time and you would be surprised at how many of them have
> no idea about exposing for light, waiting for the decisive moment, and not
> altering the truth. So many have the idea that everything has to be
> manipulated and altered to be weird or express their "artistic vision".
> <<<<

Hi Tina,
I think one of the problems of digital and PShop is, people forget one still
must use basic elements of photography to produce good pictures.....,
"LIGHT - EYES - ACTION when photographing people situations. And the
understanding of light is far more demanding for successful scenics, than PS
modifications.

>>>I speak to college photography classes
> all the time and you would be surprised at how many of them have no idea
> about exposing for light, waiting for the decisive moment, <<<<,,

That's another thing I see with students also. As the emphasis appears to be
shoot it, whatever you want, and fix it or change it in PS seems to be the
norm. It's as though they don't realize they must understand the taking of
good pictures technically first and apply the "electronic stuff " not for
fixing, but for enhancing an already well taken photograph.

One of the early things I learned about Digital and Photoshop is they wont
make a lousy photograph better, if its lousy in the first place. Digital
only allows you to see it sooner! ;-) And PhotoShop can create a false sense
of being a good photographer without skills of seeing.

You mentioned "artistic ability" and I realize good, bad and ugly is in the
eye of the beholder, but I'm sorry this past week I've been looking at the
work of a number of Photo students and it's garbage!

The first thing I asked them face to face was. "who do you think would buy
this stuff?" And, "Do you expect to make a living doing this kind of
manipulated material for the rest of your life?" They're shocked to hear me
question their ability as photographers and what they consider will be their
life  ahead of them.

I'm not sure where this lack of photography basics is coming from, unless
it's the instructors in the photo schools are at an all time high of
"techies" who aren't photographers in the true sense. But they're wizards at
diddling PShop manipulations very well. Therefore the "fix it in the
computer" talent is the in thing and not photographic talent.

> But your "automatic" is everybody else's "think about this and then set it
> the way it should be for the light"<<<<<<<,

Well sure in the beginning of my photo career I had to learn about light
like everyone else, how to recognize it and make it work, what did and
didn't. Due to my interest in the great painters of the past, I'd been
partial to the paintings of Rembrandt and how he used the "available light"
for depth, shape, contrast and beauty. So he was a great influence in how I
still make use of light. But I suppose much of the success of today is due
to the length of my photo involvement without thought, but primarily gut
feeling.

Those who feel the moment without thought, do it. Those without feeling it,
think about it too much! ;-)

A subject for hours of conversation.

ted

manipulation ability of digital shooting and Phtoshop is great where one is

I get really upset