Subject: [Leica] Re: Titanium lenses: Summicron ASPH low production
From: dorysrus at mindspring.com (Don Dory)
Date: Sun Nov 7 14:20:33 2004

Titanium is extremely light, extremely strong, not brittle, very high
tensile strength, and very corrosion resistant.  If it were not so hard
to handle you would find it in almost every industrial or consumer
product.

I remember the contortions the Chem E's went through to get titanium
reaction vessels specified for some interesting reactions at the
pesticide plant.  Instead of weekly maintenance in a very high risk
environment we went to annual inspections with most of the interest in
the seals and valve seats.

If a lens was designed for a titanium mount from the beginning, I think
you would see a much smaller lens, just a much higher price.

Don
dorysrus@mindspring.com