Subject: [Leica] Summilux vs Summicron
From: vick.ko at sympatico.ca (Vick Ko)
Date: Mon Nov 8 16:36:39 2004

I try always to buy used, to move down the depreciation curve.

I have only ever bought three items new and the third was in trade for
an item that I wanted to sell.  (M6 non-TTL, now sold; Noctilux - I'll
keep it always and pass it down to my son when I "leave", and an MP -
received in trade for a lens, some day I'll get around to either using
it or selling it).

On the down side, I never get to have something the first year it is
out, but it is worth the wait.  I also then get to read all about the
teething pains.

I'm actually quite surprised that the 50f1.4 ASPH, which is merely a
mechanical item, is experiencing teething pains.  I fully expect the
electronic items (M6, MP, M7, R8, R9, upcoming digi-backs) to suffer
teething pains.  But a lens, which is no more than glass elements,
mounts, iris and the focusing helix, should be flawless from the Solm's
factory.

regards,
Vick
.