Subject: [Leica] Epson RD-1 (initial user experience).
From: i.watts at virgin.net (Ian Watts)
Date: Fri Nov 12 07:27:17 2004

Dan C. wrote:

> You caution against using wide angles lenses, and reports are that the
> rangefinder isn't accurate enough for long focal length lenses.  That
> doesn't leave too much left to use with the camera.

That's only true if you think that using lenses in the range 35-90 (in 35mm
film terms) is not of much use. Personally speaking, I shoot virtually
nothing other than lenses in this range - with the majority shot by the 50
(all in 35mm terms). Using the 35 and 50 lenses on the RD-1 provides similar
coverage to what I have had with the 50 and 90 on my Leica M's. My seldom
used 24 Elmarit can now start to earn it's keep and stand duty as my
wide-normal (35-ish focal length equivalent). As I have never felt the need
to shoot a 135 on a rangefinder, I am not concerned that the RD-1 may not be
ideal for focussing my 90. Similarly, as I rarely, if ever, shoot anything
wider than 35 (in normal film terms), I'm not going to lose sleep over the
fact that the RD-1 is not the ideal shooting tool for wide lenses.

Ian Watts.

--

mailto:i.watts@virgin.net

Replies: Reply from bladman99 at yahoo.ca (Dan C) ([Leica] Epson RD-1 (initial user experience).)