Subject: [Leica] 35mm normal vs. ASPH or aspherical lens
From: jbcollier at shaw.ca (John Collier)
Date: Fri Nov 19 06:00:46 2004

The most famous lens for boke, such that it is called the King of Boke,
is the Leitz/Leica pre-asph summicron 35 (fourth version, Mandler
design).  It is nothing but aberration laden fuzz wide open (though the
last produced not too bad). It is famous for its silky smooth
transition from in focus to out of focus in the middle aperture range;
say f5.6 to f8 and a bit. That is it. That is all she wrote.

Boke is obvious in a fast lenses wide open but that is not where the
subtleties of lens design are best evaluated.

Is it important?! That is up to you I guess. I had the above lens and I
loved it. It was a later one and actually pretty good wide open.
However I shoot a great deal in low light and I needed f1.4. I sold the
35/2 to finance a 35/1.4 Asph.

The 35/1.4A  is sharp and crisp even wide open. The first chromes I saw
from it took my breath away. Boke? A mixed bag. Depending on the
aperture and the focus point it varies from smooth and creamy to
blotchy and harsh. Thankfully no double line boke though. Tthe only
manifestation of Boke I truly can't abide.

John Collier

Replies: Reply from mail at gpsy.com (Karen Nakamura) ([Leica] R8 problems?)
Message from Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie) ([Leica] 35mm normal vs. ASPH or aspherical lens)