Subject: [Leica] Re: Nikon's profits tripled
From: firkin at balhpl01.ncable.net.au (firkin)
Date: Sun Nov 21 19:33:34 2004

Feli di Giorgio writes:
> I would be very happy with a 10-12MP full frame camera.
> Manageable file sizes, DOF of a 135, low noise at high ASA, due
> to the large size of individual receptors. I really don't need 20MP
> for what I do...

The immediate question is what do you do that requires 10 to 12. I mean this
seriously, not as a jibe or insult. My mind tell me that 10 to 12 seems
about right, because I suspect (never tried and therefore don't know) that
you could print 16 x 20 at about this level with 35mm happiness. Barry
Thornton claimed that only really "lucky" good 35mm negs could produce
"perfect" images larger than about 10 x 14 (I think) I remember thinking
"I've got larger ones" but then thinking but they are not all "perfect", so
he may be right.

Like many, I suspect I've been too worried about making big enlargements,
when smaller well crafted images would be "better" and store much more
easily !!!!!

This brings me back to my nagging question; will todays good film scanners
"match" a 10 mega pixel dedicated digital camera when you view moderately
large images side by side?

Alastair Firkin @ work ;-)

http://www.afirkin.com
http://www.familyofman2.com