Subject: [Leica] Digital Module R
From: grduprey at rockwellcollins.com (grduprey@rockwellcollins.com)
Date: Mon Nov 29 11:57:44 2004

Yes the R8 is large compared to the M6TTL.  I am taking the M6TTL and R8
with 3 lenses each on our vacation to Germany and Poland next week.
Unfortunately the longest I have for the R8 is 90 mm, that I would take
due to the 560 Telyt would not be a good idea and also way overkill.  I
can just see the TSA guys when they see the shoulder stock in the box! ;-)
 My 200/4 has a fogging problem of an internal element and no time to get
it cleaned.  It is an old Visoflex lens I use with an adapter for the R
system, great lens, but when I noticed the fogging, I took it out of the
bag for repair when I get back in January.

While I am thinking of it, any LUG members with some must see locations
and or want to get together for a visit?  I am in Germany from December 10
through 15 and again from December 29 through January 8.  A visit to the
Leica Factory is planned, so that is already on the list.  Will be in
Poland from December 15 through 29.  While in Poland, I will be in Warsaw
from December 15th through the 23rd, 28 and 29; in Cracow and Zakopane
area from the 23rd through the 27th.

Gene

I have an R8 and two M6's. I travelled over Thanksgiving, took the two
M6's with me and three lenses. I couldn't do that with the R8 so
easily. It, and its lenses, are too vast and heavy. That's not a "bad
on you" for the R8 - it's a fact of life for the 35mm SLR (or digital
equivalent) world. It's those big heavy lenses. I might be happy with
a 28-90mm f2 lens but it will be huge too. So I take my f2 35, 50, and
f2.8 90 and two M bodies, a light meter and flash, with a LOT of film
and it travels with no problem at all.

That's the downside of the R8 and the reason I only use it landscape
and wildlife photography and not for something more casual. But the
same applies to the 10D as well. A digital M would let me lose one
body, (I can adjust ISO so don't need multiple backs for different
film).

Sigh. Mid-decade I suppose. But in the meantime I shoot and scan a lot of
film!

I agree with Gene about the joy of the R8 to use though - the
ergonomics are perfect. Canon just doesn't get it.

Adam