Subject: [Leica] Canon 20D ;-)
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Fri Dec 3 00:01:32 2004

Skip to a year and a half from now.
The Digital back would have been out awhile and gone down in price.
Part of the reason would have been that the digital body had come out and
had proved itself to be pretty sweet. All that Leica R glass out there for
chump change to put on it. The prices going up again as the Leica R system
having proved itself digitally was grabbing a bigger share of it's mini
market.
Plus the Leica Digital M will give us a high price alternative to the Epson
R2D2 out by then. The Leica M glass lineup would have been tested tried and
true for digital use.

What kind of a quandary are we going to be in maybe none? Ted and Tina and
Henning having gone digital with Canon. Others and myself with our Nikons.
All these magic silently focusing plasticy wonders of glass! Just short of
true Leica magic... Will we be able to part with them? Will we want to trade
them in and regain the true meaning of our basic Leicaness?
Tune in then and fine out.

I think some of this silent wave Nikon glass I've got will retain a lot of
it's value and really be able to sell for something. The question is will I
want to sell the stuff and migrate to a new system? Leica R would be new to
me. Leica M is existing and by the way I've  been shooting like crazy Leica
style as I've been loving my new 40 Summicron. Film is expensive but fun!
But color and mono c41!  Having your whole roll scanned during processing is
mainly a great thing but has it's drawbacks other than financial. I walked
several miles with my M6 and 40 with very new Cosina Voigtl?nder finder
tonight. That lens is so light with finder it makes for a compact
lightweight package on my M6. Fits right into a nice bag I've got with my
wallet, keys and a box of 4x5's.

I probably won't be selling off Nikon stuff in a year and a half from now
when I predict Leica has established a firm foothold into digital serious
photography. Integrating digital bodies into both it's R and M systems. I'll
have to summon up the cash from elsewhere.
Eaaaarrrrn it.

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland Oregon