Subject: [Leica] Alternative hood and filter for 40mm Summicron C
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Thu Dec 9 10:23:57 2004

On 12/9/04 8:28 AM, "Thinkofcole@aol.com" <Thinkofcole@aol.com> typed:

> Alex, try this:
>
> _http://faculty.smu.edu/sshepher/Summicron40Hood.htm_
> (http://faculty.smu.edu/sshepher/Summicron40Hood.htm)
>

> My own solution for most 39mm lenses was to look for a step-up filter --
> 39mm to 49mm -- for less than $10. You can find all kinds of filters and
> hoods
> with a 49mm thread. The only problems are that they are not made by Leica
> and,
> as mentioned in the above site, the pitch on the 40mm Summicron-C is
> slightly
>  off-standard but can be made to work. Regards, bob  cole

There is a Leica threaded ring which you can put on I found on the internet
last month which are not hard to come by as in you can get them from Leica I
think. It was for an R lens. It's got the proper .75 pitch instead of .5.
You put two little groves in it on the sides with your little Dremel and you
can put a regular Leica M 35mm square shade on it. These shades cost 75
bucks though and the ring is like 25.  So far my thin rubber hood is hanging
in there. I don't expect it to last too much longer. When I does I'll go
this route. It will be much less compact pulling in and out of my camera bag
without the collapsible rubber hood.
I think rubber hoods give off an amateurish vibe. Not in a good way.

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland Oregon
http://rabinergroup.com/