Subject: [Leica] Photography and work
From: nathan.wajsman at planet.nl (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Fri Dec 3 21:34:18 2004

Jim Hemenway wrote:

> P.S. I don't know how I got anything done, (photographically) when I was
> working.

Jim,

I assume you intended this to be a private message to Phong, but in any
event you posted it on the list, and it brings up an interesting dilemma
for those of us who are passionate about photography but have a day job
that is not at all photo related.

In my case, I work at an non-photogenic office in the middle of an
office park. Especially at this time of year, when it is dark before 5
p.m. in Northern Europe, and the weather is frequently totally crappy,
it can be a challenge to find time to do photography. Here is what I do:
I try to integrate it as much as possible into my daily life. I always
carry a camera with me, no matter what. During the week it may well be
that the camera bag just stays in the car all day (the office park where
I work may be ugly, but it is safe), but I do not want to leave home
without it on the off-chance that something interesting will happen on
the way to work, or that I go out during lunch and see something
interesting etc. Several of my PAWs have come into being this way. It is
likely that this week's PAW which I will post later this weekend will be
either from our Thanksgiving dinner last Sunday, or from some photos I
took when running some errands during lunch break Tuesday or Wednesday.

Someone (sorry, I forgot who) posted some beautiful pictures taken on
his walk to work a couple of weeks ago. The subjects were extremely
mundane, just some details of run-down houses and such, but the
photography was excellent. This is the kind of thing I strive for.

Nathan

--
Nathan Wajsman
Almere, The Netherlands