Subject: [Leica] Bad Exposure or Something Else?
From: dorysrus at mindspring.com (Don Dory)
Date: Sun Dec 5 18:53:37 2004

Richard, I suspect that you have an initial exposure issue.  When I
looked at your histogram it was very even with a bulge in the middle.
By definition, if the sycamores were glowing, then you should have a lot
of information above middle gray and also a lot of information way below
middle gray.

In Adobe, your blown out highlights are only running 230 or so, you
could run them up to 245 or so and still retain some detail.

To make something glow then you need two things, something very bright,
and something to contrast it with, usually something much darker.  For
example, if you were taking a picture of a back lit balloon, you would
meter the balloon and open up one or two stops to make it glow against
the sky.  Using Velvia or a polarizer also helps a lot.

In the case of your Sycamores, I would move to a position that the
leaves are trans illuminated by the sun and either meter the sky twenty
to thirty degrees off the sun or meter a leaf and open up one or two
stops.

Good luck

Don
dorysrus@mindspring.com