Subject: [Leica] Ice hockey shots, wide open
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Fri Dec 17 16:24:46 2004

Didier Ludwig showed:
>>> If I would have to select one of these pictures  for a PAW, it would be
> this one (though the focus isn't perfect)
> http://gallery.leica-users.org/12-2004/bambini_1<<<<<<

Didier,
it's interesting.   BUT! It's hockey! So where's the puck?

Besides shooting hockey works best when shooting from a position at ice
level in line with the front of the net and goalie because that's where the
key action takes place. Shooting wide open is no problem as long as you're
right up against the glass or netting whichever covers the end of the arena.

Never mind trying to find a hole to shoot through or a super clean spot on
the glass. Just keep the camera right up to and or against the wire or glass
and anything between you and goalie is going to be completely out of focus.
So far out you wont even know your shooting through anything. Certainly with
the lens is wide open or nearly so.

AND! the best lens for that angle is an 80mm or 90mm to keep the frame
filled with hockey players and goalie. Last point. Cover the game at the end
of the ice that your boy is attacking because you want your guys with the
puck and putting it in the net.

If that happens then you are right there for happy faces of your team, arms
raised in scoring jubilation of winning. Now that's what photographing
hockey is all about if you're going to photograph it. ;-)

> it's the fastest lens I ever had so I shot the whole roll wide open. As
> the results show, I need to take even more care about focusing with such a
> lens. But vignetting is less bad than I was fearing. Most of the dark
> corners are because of the bokeh'd grid I was standing behind.<<<<<

If the lighting isn't great, rate the film at 1600 or use 3200 for higher
shutter speeds and possibly a stop down for an edge of sharpness. Focus on
the near goal post and wait for the action to come to you. And unless you're
very experienced at fast follow focusing, extremely tough on an M camera
compared to an SLR, you're going to blow more frames than it's worth.

However, by concentrating on the goal mouth action and focusing on the near
goal post and wait. It's much easier this way to capture infocus moments
than trying to focus as the boys are skating all over the place.

If your boy's team are scoring goals that's exactly where you want to be.
And not standing up in the rafters looking down on the top of their heads!
:-) I'm sure your next hockey photo session will be much improved and don't
forget the puck in the net when they score! ;-)

ted.