Subject: [Leica] Ice hockey shots, wide open
From: SonC at aol.com (SonC@aol.com)
Date: Fri Dec 17 16:29:27 2004

In a message dated 12/17/2004 5:36:53 PM Central Standard Time,

Each to his own, but it is my conclusion after many years of doing this that
the exposure on the negative is only the first step in the editing process.
The second step is to throw away  losers.  Third step is to take the most
promising frames and bring them to their potential.  It doesn't matter if
you are
working on Photoshop or in the darkroom, tuning a fine automobile, or
throwing
a vase on a turntable; the principle is the same.

Posting a shot that is less than you can make it from start to finish only
makes you look like a sloppy photographer, and no amount of excuses can
change
what people see.

Camera technique is terribly important, but sometimes you have to help a
little afterwards. Crop, dodge, burn, adjust levels and curves.  If you had
three year old daughter, and she wanted to get into your lap, would you tell
her
to do it all by herself? Of course not.  The picture is your product; make
it
as good as you can before you show it.

Many of my pictures have flaws, and sometimes I do not notice them, but when
someone points out an error, and I agree, I will go back and try to make it
right.  I owe that to my images, and you do too.

Regards,
Sonny
http://www.sonc.com
Natchitoches, Louisiana
Oldest continuous settlement in La Louisiane
?galit?, libert?, crawfish

rangefinder@screengang.com writes:
Thanks Sonny,
That's a rather astonishing sharpening tool. But as I'm concerned, I prefer
to work on my RF handling instead of tinkering my pics in the computer (as
I'm working in Photoshop and other tools all day long, anyway). This shot
happened incidentally, I was focusing on the goal's net, when this boy
suddenly wooshed through my frame.
Didier

Replies: Reply from rangefinder at screengang.com (Didier Ludwig) ([Leica] Ice hockey shots, wide open)
Reply from pdzwig at summaventures.com (Peter Dzwig) ([Leica] Ice hockey shots, wide open)