Subject: [Leica] Ice hockey shots, wide open
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Sat Dec 18 09:05:38 2004

Jim McIntyre showed:
Subject: Re: [Leica] Ice hockey shots, wide open

>Shooting hockey, or any sports is a challenge. I've tried with my SLR and a
>longer lens to capture the action of my son's playing
>> (http://www.igs.net/~blades/orleans05.jpg). Since the lighting in rinks
>> is
>> usually poor, I used Delta 3200 for this shot.<<<<<

Hi Jim,

Now that's what hockey photography is all about! Action with puck! And
although on a previous post I said the best spot to shoot hockey was at ice
level, it still is, quite often, certainly covering the NHL and some junior
leagues one can't get in that position due to seating of spectators.

As you've shown here a higher angle will work as well, preferably not too
high. But obvously from this positon the shooter requires a longer lens than
a 50.

But some of the no bad shoot positions are at a spot in the arena so you
shoot on about a 45 degree angle from a higher floor level at about the
centre of the arena. Why?

Well with the right equipment it means you are equal distance from either
goalie and can shoot goal scoring action at either end. Obviously using a
300 2.8 or something in that range. Even a 400 is manageable.

But hockey is the action with the puck and goal scoring, forget the fighting
crap that's for the lower class mentally challenged people with nothing more
on their minds than "fighting violence is hockey." And not the finesse,
speed and accuracy of a well developed highly talented stick handler who can
zip in quickly, let one go at the goalie and it's in the net before he
realizes it's there.  That's hockey. ;-)

When I'm asked to judge sports pictures for the National Press awards the
first thing I have done is....... throw out all the hockey fight pictures!
Then we settle down to "real action" of playing hockey.

ted

Message from mcintyre at ca.inter.net (Jim McIntyre) ([Leica] Ice hockey shots, wide open)
Message from raimo.m.korhonen at uusikaupunki.fi (Raimo K) ([Leica] Ice hockey shots, wide open)