Subject: [Leica] 180 Apo-Telyt
From: Thinkofcole at aol.com (Thinkofcole@aol.com)
Date: Sun Dec 19 09:24:01 2004

Doug, somebody out there always knows really obscure stuff  about Leica and
everything Leica, like your tidbit on the US Navy photographing  Soviet
ships
with the 180 APO-Telyt. Sartorius also mentioned that with the APO
Extender-R
2x, the 180 was transformed into a 360mm f6.8 lens with "truly  remarkable
results." So I guess that somewhere in the vast archives of the Navy
there's a
whole pile of enormously expensive 2x extenders, APO lenses and Leica  R's.
   I may have already told my own story of spy cameras  but some time ago,
at
a garage sale, I ran into a guy who worked for the  NSA, the government spy
agency, as a scientist of some kind. We got to talking  about the NSA and,
although he was not too willing to discuss any aspect of his  work, I
gathered
from the tone of our little conversation that the NSA uses  Hasselblads for
some
of their secret stuff. regards, bob  cole