Subject: [Leica]What is the least amount of equipment you can use?
From: alaxsxaq at gmail.com (Glenn Stauffer)
Date: Mon Dec 27 13:50:50 2004

On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 13:48:30 -0700, ernie nitka <enitka1@comcast.net> wrote:
> Got interested in some recent posts asking about which camera/lens combo
> one would take for XYZ trip or journey.  I admit that I prefer to travel
> very light but am interested in what others do.  For me it would be one
> body and at most two lenses ( 35 and 90, 21 and 50).  I shoot whatever I
> have in the camera ( color or BW) and call it Kismet that whatever shot I
> like was meant to be color or BW.  I shoot mostly RF.  The thought of two R
> bodies and 3-4 lenses is foreign to me.  What do others consider their
> ideal travel kit.

It depends on where I'm going.  When I was knocking about southern
Mexico on buses, I took my Olympus XA and Ricoh GR-1.  They are small,
simple cameras easily carried in a shirt pocket.  Took both so I had a
spare in case one was stolen or stopped working.  We were traveling
very light - one small knapsack each for a two week trip.  Only a few
times did I feel limited by my equipment.

On a summer trip to France, I took the M6 and three lenses - 21, 35,
and 75.  Mostly used just the 35; the 21 came out a few times and the
75 even less.  This gear fits in one small Domke F5XB bag and, with
the addition of a 50mm lens, has become my prefered travel outfit.
The XA or GR-1 will still be the choice when I'm in places where I
need to go extra light or it is better to carry my equipment
discretely.

Glenn