Subject: [Leica] Sontag & Photography
From: Afterswift at aol.com (Afterswift@aol.com)
Date: Wed Dec 29 02:21:54 2004

Dear Colleagues,

I think Sontag gave photography too much credit -- we regard it as blame --
for how our society sees itself and creates itself in some image she doesn't
like and thinks is unhealthy. I don't think she blames photographers for
that.
She thought that capitalist system that parlays sex, luxury, etc. was its
cause
and is promoted by the photographic image. That the photographer is an
unwitting part of the system.

It's the images she saw that affected her that way at a certain moment in
her
life. As a critical observer she ran with that idea. In a later book she
reversed a lot of her thinking in On Photography. The world had changed and
so did
she.

However, that psychological and sociological case she makes against the
commercial photographic image in the US and the nature of still photography
isn't
the whole story and it wasn't what I was looking for in Sontag's work. There
is
a sideband in On Photography that has nothing to do with the critical theme
although Sontag thinks that it is part of her critical context.

For example, here are a few quotes I underlined from On Photography: "The
less doctored, the less patently crafted, the more naive -- the more
authoritative the photograph is likely to be."

"What renders a photograph surreal is its irrefutable pathos as a message
from time past, and the concreteness of its intimations about social class."

"Life is not about significant details, illuminated a flash, fixed forever.
Photographs are." [That's something to think about. Do photographers
transfigure the world. Are we aware of what we're doing? Or is Susan wrong?
That's
mindstretching.]

"Indeed, the very extent to which that photograph [Che Guevara's body laid
out on a stretcher in the presence of the Bolivian military and a US
intelligence agent] is unforgettable indicates its potential for being
depoliticized, for
becoming a timeless image."

"Cartier-Bresson has likened himself to a Zen archer, who must become the
target so as to be able to hit it; "'thinking should be done before and
afterwards," he says, "'never while actually taking the photograph.'"

"Benjamin thought that a photograph, being a mechanically reproduced object,
could not have genuine presence. It could be argued, however, that the very
situation .... has revealed that photographs do possess a kind of
authenticity."

Sontag quotes Nietzsche: To experience a thing as beautiful means to
experience it necessarily wrongly. Sontag is alluding to -- I think
incorrectly -- to
the effect that certain photos have in sanitizing an ugly reality by giving
it
an esthetic composition, which a competent photographer instinctively does.

Hey, photographers are thinking human beings. And that's what Sontag is all
about, whether she's right or wrong. She prods us to think! So I mourn her
passing, as I would any hardworking writer who has something to say and who
does
her/his preparation well and respects her/his readers.

Bob