Subject: [Leica] Intro
From: dorysrus at mindspring.com (Don Dory)
Date: Sat Jan 1 19:45:45 2005

Chris,
Well, you did ask.  Please bear in mind that I am an incurable lens
acquirer so I have glass from way too many manufacturers.

Compared to current Nikkor glass whether single focal length or zoom the
current Leica RF glass will be much more resistant to flare, hold more
detail into the corners, higher contrast, and very much useable wide
open.  Specific world class (best in the world unless you are into
bokeh) would include the 24 Elmarit, the 28 Summicron, either 35 ASPH,
the new 50 ASPH, and the new 90 Summicron.  For specific images the 75
Summilux is also world class although the new Nikkor 85 F1.4 is possibly
better.

The above opinions are based on thousands of frames taken with Leica
glass and others.  If you technique is good, you will see some
outstanding images cut on film or sensors.

Why would you not care for Leica glass?  Some say the new lenses have
too much contrast.  In fact in a recent Japanese exercise, some 50's
Canon RF lenses did very well on the Epson sensor: the issue seemed to
be holding on to the dynamic range.  The new lenses are extremely well
corrected so the transition to out of focus is pretty abrupt. Also, if
you images depend of bold graphic design for their impact then the money
spent on Leica glass is wasted (Meisel and Turner for example).

If you are not a lens snob then Cosina is making some really good lenses
as well, probably as good as the Nikkors.  I know for a fact Cosina
makes at least one of the Nikkors.  They have a good 21, a gem of a 25
although you do have to zone focus, a nice fast 28, an excellent 35
F1.2, the new 40 F1.4 is probably about the same image quality as the 50
F1.4 Nikkor.

Also, pretty amazing is the 15mm Heliar from Cosina.  This little fella
will make you very upset at how much you paid for your 14.

Also, Zeiss is introducing what promises to be some pretty wonderful
lenses as well.  Well grounded rumor indicates February availability in
Japan for the 25, 28, 35, and 50mm focal lengths.  A nice 15, 21, and 85
will follow soon.

Most people on this list have a standard walk about lens, probably most
use a 35, I tend to go for a 50.  A few use the 28 as normal.

See if the K&S folks will rent you an M6 and 35 ASPH (either aperture is
fabulous). Possibly another focal length if you tend to another
direction.  If you have never used a rangefinder before it will be
important to see if you get along with the view before you plunk down a
whole lot of money.

Unfortunately for me, I prefer rangefinders for people pictures.  I will
probably be waiting a few years for the digital revolution to come to
me.

Then of course, there are the literally thousands of lenses made from
1925 or so that can be used on an M for very specific images.

Of course your mileage will vary.

Don
dorysrus@mindspring.com