Subject: [Leica] Re: American Robin
From: jbcollier at shaw.ca (John Collier)
Date: Fri Jan 7 17:55:24 2005

I largely agree with your evaluation of Doug's work but nature
photography is one heck of a tough racket. I know of more than a few
talented nature photographers who just can't make a living at it. They
have to take other part-time/full-time work to keep body and soul
together. It sure helps if there is an understanding spouse who has a
well paying job with full benefits.

The business of photography has nothing to do with photography itself.
Having to put out in such an intensely competitive field can mean long
hours away from home never-mind the required constant self promotion.

Sometimes passions are best as part-time activities at most.

I am not advising Doug or anyone else for that matter. Just reporting
what I have all too often seen.

John Collier

Replies: Reply from telyt at earthlink.net (Doug Herr) ([Leica] Re: American Robin)
Message from jbcollier at shaw.ca (John Collier) ([Leica] American Robin)