Subject: [Leica] Digital Ms et al
From: scott at adrenaline.com (Scott McLoughlin)
Date: Fri Mar 4 15:44:47 2005

That's an interesting point. Aside from quality, I think Leica represents
some kind of commitment to and longevity for RF photography. Of
course, Leica's corporate health has to improve for this to be meaningful
at this point.

If Epson or Zeiss or CV crank out a digi body, and follow up with an
upgrade or two, or some alternative models thus showing some commitment
to the camera/platform, I think sales would pick up radically and fewer RF
shooters will worry about waiting around for Leica.

Zeiss and CV are best suited for becoming the "digi RF standard bearer," as
it were. They've got the capability to rapidly crank out some new great
wide
angle lenses appropriate for the digi M platform. Zeiss/CV together have
shown that RF baselength need no longer be a big deal. I find CV's VF
a bit brighter than Leica's.  The digi bodies need not last 50 years, and
indeed CV bodies already have metal construction vs. Canon/Nikon's
prosumer bodies.

So yes, Leica makes great, sturdy classic mechanical film cameras and
I can easily imagine they could become completely irrelevant to the future
of digital RF shooting.