Subject: [Leica] Re: Is that so wrong?
From: feli2 at earthlink.net (Feli)
Date: Sat Mar 5 12:39:00 2005

On Mar 5, 2005, at 11:04 AM, Eric wrote:

> Feli:
>
>> You lose the competition. People are simply awed by the perfection and
>> impact of your competitors photoshopped entry. The haunting,
>> un-natural
>> beauty of the woman in the picture is deemed brilliant and he is
>> hailed
>> a photographic genius. You point out that the magical glow that
>> envelops her is actually the result of the highlights being keyed off
>> the original, blurred and then screened back on top of the original
>> image. You are branded jealous and a sore loser.
>

> Since when did art become a competitive sport?  :)

There is no sport more competitive.
;-)

> If you've created a masterpiece, is it any less of a masterpiece if
> others
> don't appreciate it or show it the same reverence that you do?

No. Many masterpieces are above the comprehension level of 'the mob'.
;-)

> If we're going to have competitions where the results really matter,
> then we
> need to make sure the playing ground is equally level.  Everybody has
> to use
> the same equipment and shoot the same subject at the same time.
> Everybody
> has to have their results processed the same.  Otherwise, something is
> going
> to be unequal or unfair.

True, but like I said, if you are going to have a contest, you have to
have different categories
that the contestants compete within. You are not going to enter a
shortfilm and a feature in the same
competition. Both are films, but very different beasts. You're probably
not going to have a guy on
a motor scooter compete in the Tour de France.

> Ask five photographers for opinions, and you'll end up with six.  :)

If B.D. is one of them, maybe seven!
8-)

Replies: Reply from bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen) ([Leica] Re: Is that so wrong?)
Message from feli2 at earthlink.net (Feli) ([Leica] Is that so wrong?)