Subject: [Leica] Re: Advice needed on 35mm lens for Leica M
From: sethrosner at nycap.rr.com (Seth Rosner)
Date: Mon Mar 14 05:55:08 2005

B.D., now it is I who ROFLOL.

B.D. wrote:

> ROFLOL! :-)
>
> Glow=flare, distortion,softness

Rubbish.

My favorite lens, the DR Summicron, "glows" at all apertures. Flare is gone
by f/2,8 except when light sources are within the frame. Distortion
virtually imperceptible. At apertures f/4 through f/8 it is sharper (better
resolution and equal contrast)  than any other 50/2 Summicron Leitz-Leica
has made.

My current other favorite lens, 35/2,8 Summaron, also "glows" at all
apertures. This lens has no distortion and very little flare and Erwin Puts
describes it thus:
"..no distortion. The lens is an excellent performer and is better than the
8 element Summicron at f 2.8. Overall contrast is high and the central
definition is very high, bringing in fine detail with clarity and over most
of the image area. Stopping down to f/4 increases micro contrast and now
very fine detail is crisply rendered with the exception of the corners. Best
aperture is f 5.6 where truly excellent image quality is delivered."

Why you are continually on the warpath against Leica is beyond me, B.D.
Whatever the reason, do try to keep to the facts.

Warm regards,

Seth           LaK 9