Subject: [Leica] Pentax *istD review on photo.net
From: jim at hemenway.com (Jim Hemenway)
Date: Mon Mar 14 14:59:42 2005

Steve:

You might want to take a look at this review on photo.net.  I disagree
with some of his statements and assumptions, but the review is more
favorable than not:
http://www.photo.net/equipment/pentax/istds/

A quote from the review, "I even felt at ease leaving my Leica M6 at
home during most of the trial."

If you get one, consider changing the default settings from Jpeg to RAW,
sRGB to Adobe RGB and natural versus bright color.  The result is
latitude similar to color negative film.  Otherwise it's similar to
slide film.

You can do the RAW conversion via Photoshop CS, or use the supplied
Pentax RAW converter.  I haven't upgraded to CS yet and won't for awhile
because there's a rumor of a new CS after April first.  For now I
convert the RAW to TIFF in the Pentax Browser and then optimize the
photos in Photoshop 7.

Jim

PS:  There's a switch to enable B&W only photography.