Subject: [Leica] looking at Pentax *ist D
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Mon Mar 14 23:49:41 2005

On 3/14/05 5:28 PM, "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net> typed:

> But Mark, unfortunately your arthritis doesn't tell what Leica will do.
> Because if it really makes sense, Leica's unlikely to do it. Were that
> not true, they would have kept the M5 alive and pushed it with good
> marketing, and they would have kept a CL-like camera in the line. But
> they didn't have the imagination to do either, and instead deep-sixed
> both, and returned to the M3 -uh, sorry, M4, ;-), finally putting a
> meter in it again in, what, 1984?

My ability to predict the future has never been questioned before BD I'm at
wits end!  Its just like the past only it hasn't quite happened yet is my
view.

The M5 almost brought the company down it is very well known and is the one
major sore spot in the hearts and minds of Leica aficionados everywhere view
of Leicas history and it's products.
Considered THE MAJOR FAUX PAS of Leitz by a clear consensus from what I can
see.
Had not that nice Canadian fella who I think also came up with the Noctilux
(Mandler?) stuck a meter where the self timer used to be in an M4 Leica
would have bit it decades ago and we'd all be on the Leica historical
appreciation list with all are gear being over 30 years old.

Only recently has there been a new appreciation for the positive deserved
aspects of the M5. They're one being sold down the street from me for I
think 1100 USD and I look for it every time I go in there. The only Leica
body in the store unfortunately.
But it is nothing for a Leica connoisseur to own most all kinds of Leica M
and LTM bodies the M5 conspicuously missing. But I'll get one one day and
use it often I think.
I shot most of a roll with one and a Noctilux in a dark banquet room 4 years
ago and loved it and the results which I saw the next day.

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland Oregon
http://rabinergroup.com/