Subject: [Leica] Leica M film loading
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Wed Apr 6 07:06:14 2005

brad daly offered:
Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica M film loading

>i discovered after a while with the M6 that i was overdoing things, pulling
>the leader a little too far and getting it too far into the take-up spool.
>this was causing the film to shift down a couple of millimeters and miss
>the sprockets.  now i've learned just to pull the leader out a little bit,
>so that it's over sprockets on both the top and bottom and the end is just
>between the blades on the take-up spool. i always crank twice before
>closing the back and putting the bottom plate back on.<<<<<<<<<<<

Hi Brad,
The only thing I don't do as you say is,
> i always crank twice before closing the back and putting the bottom plate
> back on.<

I do make sue the sprocket holes are in place, then I put bottom plate or
RapidWinder on, lock-it and take a slight tension on the rewind crank as
that removes any slight slack between film canister and take-up spool, do
this gently, then advance and 99.9 % it will grab and start OK.

You also have to be able to do this walking backwards with your eyes closed!
;-) 3 times!

ted

Message from summicron at bellsouth.net (Frank F. Farmer) ([Leica] Leica M film loading)
Message from brad at bradbrad.com (brad daly) ([Leica] Leica M film loading)