Subject: [Leica] Olympus E1 - sorta OT
From: vondauster at earthlink.net (Will von Dauster)
Date: Sun Apr 10 10:50:52 2005

On Apr 10, 2005, at 9:52 AM, B. D. Colen wrote:

> http://gallery.leica-users.org/B-D-COLEN-PAW/Blossom

Nice flower pix, especially the first. The E-1 photos have a _very_
nice look to them.

> Shot with the Olympus E-1 -"the Barnack camera for the digital era?"*-
> *Erwin Puts, 9 April, 2005.

Yup. Slips nicely into a photo vest pocket Erwin... or, well, not. Of
course, neither does the LC1.

Now, if I might respond to few comments, including BD, who also wrote:

>> The limiting factor is NOT the resolution - it's the sensor size. I
>> have
>> an 8 mgp P&S with a typically-tiny sensor, and an E-1 with a 5mpg 4/3
>> sensor - the 8mpg gets noisy by 400 iso and is a joke at 800. The E-1
>> is
>> fine at 400 and useable up to 1600, or in desperation, 3200. More
>> over,
>> I can blow the E-1 images way up, and can't go as far with the 8 mgp
>> camera. Taking the LC1 or similar camera up to 8-10 mgp wouldn't
>> improve
>> things - it would probably make them worse.

I certainly agree with most of what is said above, although I still
firmly believe that even an excellent 5MP is not enough for my use. As
to increasing pixel count necessarily increasing noise within the same
physical sensor size, reality has not born this out. To whit, the
improvement in all respects in the high-ISO range of photographs taken
with the Canon 20D versus the 10D: Same sensor size, smaller receptors,
better images, QED. In other words, when it comes to computer
technology, and that's what we're talking about these days,
essentially, all other things are seldom equal as the technologies -
plural, to be more correct - improve.

Having said this, I am a big Olympus fan, having used the OM system
professionally for a few years, and having owned the E-10 and E-20n.
Once the - oh, I don't know - E2 comes out at hopefully 10MP, as usable
at ISO 1600 as the 20D, I am very likely to pick one up.

Allow me to also lament Leica's slowness in seeing the potential market
for the Digital M. Props to Cosina/Epson, but let's get that price down
to $1299. Yeah, I know.

Will von Dauster

Replies: Reply from bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen) ([Leica] Olympus E1 - sorta OT)
Reply from pdzwig at summaventures.com (Peter Dzwig) ([Leica] Olympus E1 - sorta OT)