Subject: [Leica] OT: Computers
From: leowesson at charter.net (leo)
Date: Sun Apr 10 15:14:55 2005

I am a mac user.
I have looked at the imac and i don't think i would trust the monitor
for serious color work, if you are just hobbying it, it would probably
work fine.  I would however trust the hd lcd's from apple, they are
really sweet and priced like leicas.  Don't know where you live, but if
you can go to an apple store,  you could compare them side by side and
see if the difference bothers you.
I agree with Feli about the lacie monitors.  They are really good and a
really good value.  I have had a 17" lacie at  home for about 3 years
and have had no problems.  We used to use them at work, (switched to
artisans) had probably about 15 of them and only one of them gave us
problems.
I got a dual 2 gig g5 to supplement my older g4 at home.  It is an
awesome machine.  Fast and problem free.  If you want a refurb, try
smalldog.com or the refurb area of the apple website.  Had a few
problems with figuring out the network thing, but I attribute that to
the fact that I know nothing about networking.
I grew up using pc's and personally I prefer the mac.  I find them
easier to use and less troublesome.  My mother got a compaq and I  hate
it when she calls me to ask how to fix a problem.  She should have
gotten a mac.
Don't rule out a mac mini.  We have a few at work and have only gotten
good reports about them.

Leo