Subject: [Leica] Re: Downtown B'ham
From: brad at bradbrad.com (brad daly)
Date: Sat Jun 18 21:08:02 2005

hi allen,

the building that's picture in the drawing you reference is the old
cabana hotel.  it's great building with lovely terra cotta details,
and i welcome them rehabbing it.  the one picture on the page i
reference that actually *is* in birmingham is the mcwane center
science museum, itself a rehab of the former lovemann's department
store downtown.  the mcwane center is arguably the centerpiece of the
downtown redevelopment plan, a plan modeled largely on chattanooga
successful downtown redevelopment centered around the tennessee
aquarium.  (IMO, the mcwane center is cool, but no where nearly as
cool as the tennessee aquarium.  it's typical birmingham me-too
catching up.)

--brad

--
brad daly
brad@bradbrad.com

What Would Bill Hicks Say?

"It's better to burn out than to fade away."
     --Neil Young

Message from ahgraves at prodigy.net (Allen Graves) ([Leica] Re: Downtown B'ham)