Subject: [Leica] NYT Public Editor on Press Photography
From: scott at adrenaline.com (Scott McLoughlin)
Date: Sun Jul 3 15:43:54 2005

It is a "rash" assumption. I used to know many folks back in my younger
days who religiously read the NYT because they said it had the very best
sports coverage. Not a typical "elite readership" crowd, I guess.

The "ethics" of photography are very interesting, but some of the more
public,
or publicized rather, concerns really worry me.   For better and worse,
I just
think (hope) that folks should always be able to go out and shoot and
publish
with the same reckless 1st Ammendment protected abandon that we allow
people to put pen to paper.

I just went to the National Gallery and saw the Irving Penn exhibit. Showed
many of the test images and "straight prints" in addition to the final
product
platinum/paladium prints.

On the subway home, I pondered. The straight prints *sucked*. That's not
his genious (same goes for much of fine art B&W), and that's not what we
want to see. This isn't slides on a light table kind of work.

So I thought - an 11 year old boy with a gun shooting someone. A good
darkroom artist might make this an innocent lad fighting for his life (pick
your political or social scenario) or an evil pre-adolescent murderous
neo-terrorist product of a world gone cockeyed.  Dodge, burn, crop - take
your pick.

Where's the "truth"?  Same might be asked of a jury verdict or a NYT
editorial on the same event, in prose that is.

Aesthetics and truth. Conservatives and liberals alike will often enjoy a
George Will column, just for the clear writing and logic of it. A supreme
court ruling (or a dissenting opinion) well crafted in prose can hold the
same appeal.  I recall when Scalia wrote that fashioned (not real) images
of juvenile sexuality could not be considered pedo porn, in part because
Juliet (Romeo and Juliet) was only 13 in Shakespeare's play, and the
Supreme Court (or the Constitution rather) was not about to censure
Shakespeare.

I remember being in my car and laughing to tears at the shear elegance
of the counterexample (a classic philosophical reasoning mechanism) I
heard on the radio (yup, NPR), and my opinion of Scalia improved
by some amount proportional to my mirth.  Aesthetics matters. It's
in our brains, I guess.

I think that relationship between aesthetics and truth is in the hands of
both the author/photographer/editor and the reader. It's like a little war
of reason and perception.  So long as the battle continues on, reason
may in the end prevail.

Elitism? Should we always assume that the photographer/author/editor
"wins"?  Me'thinks not.  So much of our representations fall on deaf ears
and and meet a skeptical eye. Nixon sweating. Children taught of the
famous era of "Yellow Journalism" in American history.

You get the idea. Aesthetics is always in the picture, as it were. NYT
or "embedded journalism" or Supreme Court rulings or the ceremony
surrounding affairs of state or whatever. We need critical judgement
and peer review and the like to help interpret.  "Ours whose task is
eternal wakefulness."  Nietzsche had a point.

Scott