Subject: [Leica] the best M body ...
From: feli2 at earthlink.net (feli)
Date: Wed Aug 3 08:03:56 2005

 >>Leica M3...?  the best built M body ever  ?   with the best
viewfinder of all ?

 >>is this the common wisdom?

Yes, this is the common 'wisdom', but tend to disagree. (I own M2/M4/
M4-2/M6TTL/M7 and have had an M3 on loan for a few weeks.) I believe
this notion of the M3 being the best often originates from the
opinions expressed on the cameraquest page.

The M3 is extremely well made, but so is the M2/M4/M5. I really do
not see a difference in quality between them.

The M3 finder may be the most flare resistant, but it's the only M
finder which doesn't have frame lines for the 35; instead it supports
50/90/135. The M3/M2 prism block has also been cemented with Canadian
balsam, which over time yellows and becomes brittle. This is why you
hear about M3/M2 rangefinder patches dying after an impact. The block
can become separated and it's a very expensive repair, which only a
few shops will even attempt to do. Starting with the M4 Leica
switched to a synthetic glue, which is cured with UV light, and this
method is a lot more rugged.

The biggest reason why the M3 feels as smooth as it does, is because
the gearing is made of brass and not the mixture of steel and brass
as found in post M4 cameras. Leica switched to steel gears starting
with the M4-2, because the brass was not strong enough to support the
Leicavit or motordrives. Also keep in mind that most M3 cameras have
had a few years or decades of 'break in' time. After maybe 200 rolls
my M6TTL is also a lot smoother, than when I purchased it new.

In my experience, the M3 doesn't not feel any smoother than my M2 or
M4 and I was very pleasantly surprised the first time I handled the
new MP and my M7.

The worst camera Leica every made is the M4-2. I consider it the low
point of the line, because it is the least reliable. Mine has already
died once, even after a Sherry CLA.

I have found the M6TTL, to be extremely reliable, but to have the
worst fit and finish of the bunch. The covering feels cheap and the
rewind knob on mine is downright crude. The anodizing is thin and
compared to the older cameras it feels somewhat crude. I hate to make
this comparison, but the TTL reminds me of an AK-47. Rough around the
edges and well finished where it needs to be, but it will continue to
operate without a hitch under circumstances than have long since
killed the operator.

The new MP and M7 are also extremely good and after reading about the
internal changes that Leica has made I believe that these may turn
out to be the most durable cameras they ever made. There have been
changes to new materials that simply didn't exist 50 years ago and
CNC machining ensures a level of accuracy that would have been
impossible to maintain on the assembly line, in pre-automated days.

So, here are my choices

Best traditional body:

M4

Perfect frame line set (35/50/90/135)