Subject: [Leica] the best M body ...
From: crgrbrts at verizon.net (Craig Roberts)
Date: Wed Aug 3 06:56:07 2005

I own an M3 and an M4.  I like my M4 a little better (though it's not
quite as fashionably "retro" looking as the M3).

My M3 suffered from the infamous and common prism separation syndrome
caused by aged Canadian Balsam cement used in its assembly.  But, John
at Focal Point  (www.focalpointlens.com) fixed that and made the
viewfinder/rangefinder perform and look as new.

Still, the M3 -- as nice as the view now is -- does not have frame lines
for 35mm or shorter lenses.  I consider that an inconvenience.   And,
the film advance clutch mechanism has needed repair.

My  M4, purchased new in 1972, has been working flawlessly all these
years with no signs of mechanical deterioration.

An internal meter, while I've always lived without it, would be nice,
though.

A call to Don Goldberg and/or Sherry Krauter would give you some insight
as to relative reliability of the various models.

Craig Roberts
Washington, DC

Message from langeratcarleton at gmail.com (Mark Langer) ([Leica] the best M body ...)
Message from kididdoc at cox.net (Steve Barbour) ([Leica] the best M body ...)