Subject: [Leica] Leica Hires Ad Agency
From: mcyclwritr at comcast.net (mcyclwritr@comcast.net)
Date: Tue Nov 1 11:27:13 2005

Chiat/Day may (still) be good, but are they up to dealing with Germanthink?
I can hear the wireless mice ricocheting off cubicle walls even now.
-----------------------
Klaus: "Pretty ad. I don't like it."

Agency Suit:  "Why is that?"

Klaus:  "It's all photograph with itty-bitty logo. Where's the talk of Leica
tradition, of Leica precision, of Leica optical excellence?"

Ritalin-juiced creative director hanging on until Hollywood options his
screenplay: "Herr Schmidt, the Leica tradition for all things superior is
systemic within the brand and we must reach an eager, new consumer who
recognizes the appeal of digital camera systems that redefine photography in
ways that are sensitive yet daring, revealing yet personal."

Klaus:  "So ve have a flower growing out of a pork and beans can in the city
landfill as the bleed photograph dis pretty ad? Dat says all dat?"

Agency Suit: "Klaus I'm with you. So perceptive. So incisive. I told
creative that that visual just would not resonate with our core consumers or
conquest markets and, at the end of the day, we had to structure Leica's
push into photography's digital future with focus locked on Leica
excellence."
Have your Chiat/Day mole take notes. Tell me how wrong this is in, oh, six
months.  Wait, make that a year. After all, there's that budget-sucking
exercise known as rebranding to go through, first. Not to mention the focus
groups.

-Chris Lawson