Subject: [Leica] NYC trip, and others
From: pklein at 2alpha.net (Peter Klein)
Date: Sun Dec 4 15:48:54 2005

I also like #8 and #10.  I also like #1, even thought it's a corny pose,
because I just like stuff like that.  I also noticed that you got some
beautiful tonality out of TMX 400 in #1.  I would have sworn it was
chromogenic BW400CN like the others if you hadn't identified it.

Now, Ted, as for #10 not having anything indicating that it's a train
station, I must protest. :-)  The old-fashioned wooden seat, plus the sign
that says "Do not leave bags unattended" are givaways to me, anyway.  The
shops behind are also clues.  Most malls don't have seats that elegant.

We often see "human interest" photos in the newspaper that don't visually
tell us *exactly* where they were taken, but hint at it. The caption tells
us that "Suzie So-and-so is enjoying a nice summer day at the Arboretum."
And we think, "Oh, yeah, that looks like the Arboretum. OK."

I only wish the young lady was facing the "no bags unattended" sign, and
then Ken could have moved in closer, and gotten a good composition with
just the girl, the bench, the sign, and that great shadow on the back
rest.  You're right that the light makes the picture look better than it is
(sort of like that old saw about Tchakovsky's music sounding better than it
is), but if I'd been in that situation, I would have probably taken it and
posted it, too, sucker that I am.   :-)

Yes, light makes us do strange things:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/album170/PC031319MyShadowSnow

--Peter