Subject: [Leica] Signs
From: rclark01 at comcast.net (Robert Clark)
Date: Sat Dec 10 05:29:59 2005

I think you are right, Nathan.  I grew up in eastern North Carolina with the
pouch tobacco signs on all of the tobacco curing barns.  When the
interstates came through and all the mom and pop hotels were not longer on
the road most traveled, they and their signage deteriorated and became sort
of a visual treasure to those with an eye.  My folks still live there and
things that go right by them are suddenly so vivid and apparent to me.  In
my small town (now with about 200 residents) there is a painted sign on the
side of an old mercantile store directing one to "Sell Your Tobacco in
Williamston."  I take one or two pictures of that sign everytime I'm there
trying to get the perfect one in different seasons, light, etc.  Small towns
in the south are an artistic photographers treasurer if you know where to
look.  When I see Ric's work, it's all the towns where I
visited...Smithfield, Wilson, etc.

Great observation.

Robert