Subject: [Leica] St Pauli girl? Stereotypes
From: douglas.sharp at gmx.de (Douglas Sharp)
Date: Mon Jan 9 06:37:33 2006

Isn't Switzerland a part of Southern Germany?. or was it Northern Italy
or Eastern France? :-)
Full of dead elephants and ancestors of Hannibal ;-)
The Black Forest connection explains why the Swiss are so rich - if
someone wants a  clock they'll sell it - wherever it's supposed to come
from.
Unfortunately nobody ever thinks there is more to Switzerland than Alps,
watches, Heidi, cheese with holes in it, fondue and banks.
It's a great pity that much of Emil Steinberger's comedy can't be
translated into an English idiom (the safety talk on the plane possibly)
but  "Schweizermacher" (which is brilliant) gives a wonderful satirical
insight into Swiss bureaucracy. In a totally different vein, Alain
Tanner is, IMO, still one of the best European directors too.

Well, I'll just have to put on my bowler-hat and pinstripe suit and go
to meet my wife (wearing , of course a Dirndl) and our son (in
Lederhosen), perhaps we'll go to a French restaurant this evening, and
watch all the people wearing berets, striped shirts and with onions
round their necks (and of course a baguette under the left armpit.) ;-)
Douglas
PS I am probably quite a stereotype Brit myself - I do tend to wear
Barbour Jackets, brown brogues, tweed and flat caps quite often.