Subject: Quality/size ratio and digital - Re: [Leica] re: digital treadmill
From: Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie)
Date: Sun Jan 15 23:13:50 2006

If I have understood the issue properly - a gross assumption - the
problem is that large imaging chips are a side-branch technology.
 From the outset R&D on chips has centred on speed and miniturisation
with great success. The CCDs in P&S cameras, smaller than the
smallest fingernail, are in step with this. APS and larger sensors
are almost a new branch of the technology with complete new R&D
requirements which not everybody either has or chooses to devote the
resource to developing. On top of that the results available from
current P&S cameras are completely satisfactory for 99% of their
users. Development is likely to follow smaller with similar quality
not bigger and better, simply because of market size. My son already
prefers the pitiful camera in his phone to carrying an additional
"box", for him and his friends the quality is good enough to outweigh
the inconvenience. A bit like HiFi where size, capacity and battery
life are more important in the portables market than sound quality,
such for the minute proportion of the market where quality is more
important there will soon be no products at all.
On top of this I understand that every silicon wafer on which the
chips are made has a certain number of defects per area. Clearly this
makes a situation where there is a chip area where 100% scrap is
statistically inevitable and means also that reject rates will
exponentially increase with size. I don't know how much effort has
been put into reducing the number of defects per area recently, if
the cost of super pure wafers is extremely high and the size of chips
has continued to miniaturise it is entirely possible that there has
been little recent research done on this area.
It could well be that the projected market for large chips is so
small that only small R&D budgets will ever be devoted to it and the
chips themselves will always be special small production run items
which are relatively very expensive.
Frank

Replies: Reply from scott at adrenaline.com (Scott McLoughlin) (Quality/size ratio and digital - Re: [Leica] re: digital treadmill)
Message from jonathan at openhealth.org (Jonathan Borden) ([Leica] re: digital treadmill)