Subject: [Leica] sharp ears & soft eyes! focusing tips? -
From: faneuil at gmail.com (Eric Korenman)
Date: Mon Apr 10 06:26:44 2006

A call for focus help - and no, I am not going to buy an autofocus camera!

I often misfocus when shooting portraiture -  Ending with soft eyes but
razor sharp ears!
Obsessive testing shows that I am responsible- not my R8 nor my lenses.

The only help has been to always correct my focus.  I do this with a quick
rightward corrective focus twist just after I focus my typical way.  IE, I
focus 'normally' and then have to shorten the focus distance with a
correction.
If I forget I get sharp ears & soft eyes.

I think my brain is edge seeking and the obvious edges are the side of the
head compared to background. I find it tough to lock in on eyes. I tried a
ground glass screen and that was a minimally helpful.

I often shoot a 50mm lens at f5.6

Tips?

Eric

Replies: Reply from dlridings at gmail.com (Daniel Ridings) ([Leica] sharp ears & soft eyes! focusing tips? -)
Reply from faneuil at gmail.com (Eric Korenman) ([Leica] Re: sharp ears & soft eyes! focusing tips? -)
Reply from red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone) ([Leica] sharp ears & soft eyes! focusing tips? -)
Reply from images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] sharp ears & soft eyes! focusing tips? -)