Subject: [Leica] Re: Small cars
From: don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory)
Date: Thu Apr 27 05:34:15 2006

Peter,
I am remembering some work studies so the gist is what is important.  If I
recall correctly, without face time and/or the fear of management most
people become mostly unproductive if they work at home.  Again, this is a
study of large numbers so individual stories of dedication don't change the
meaning.  However, satellite offices might make sense.

The real issue is that when transportation costs were relatively small,
collectively we chose where we would live and work by different rules than
we would have in light of much higher transportation costs.  I grew up in a
suburb that existed because in 1900 an enterprising person ran a rail spur
twenty miles out from Kansas City and sold lots based on the clean air and
country living while still being only a few minutes from work.  Now they are
trying to rebuild that rail line that they removed in the forties as the
commute by car can become over an hour.

Of course the good news for me is that SWMBO forced me to buy a house close
in and now that nobody wants to spend three hours in their car the dirt I
live on is worth an insane amount of money.

Don
don.dory@gmail.com