Subject: [Leica] Flooding in Winchester, MA
From: don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory)
Date: Mon May 15 19:40:11 2006

Jim,
Humans are such funny creatures.  You know that there is water under the
bridge, you know how tall the bridge is, yet you still drive into the water
knowing that it is four feet deep.  When I lived in Houston they painted
depths on the pillars of the bridge abutments much like on the bows of boats
to tell people how deep the water was; yet someone would always drive into
five to ten feet of water thinking that it wouldn't stop them.

I well understand the power of water.  About 1978 there were pockets of
intense rainfall in Kansas City that caused massive flooding.  On streams
that I could never remember flooding large cars were tossed like toys until
a tree stopped them, usually bending them like Grants rails on the march to
Atlanta.  One creek went over twenty feet above flood stage in about three
hours.  The house I was living in had eight feet of water in the basement
and it was well above any creeks or rivers, just 14 inches of water in less
than 24 hours.

So, stay on high gound and keep out of the water.

Don
don.dory@gmail.com