Subject: Consumerism [was RE: [Leica] Digital Leica M]
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Tue Jun 13 13:31:14 2006

At 1:21 PM -0400 6/13/06, Richard S. Taylor wrote:
>(snip)
>>I had a friend who had a big screen TV.... it cost him $4K, he had
>>it for a year, then threw it out when it went bad.  His new
>>replacement was less costly ($2700) and bigger.  Made sense to him......
>>
>>Obviously not me.   I like mechanical cameras.
>>Frank Filippone
>>red735i@earthlink.net
>
>(snip)
>
>The consumer economy at it's worst - and an astonishing waste of
>energy (think) oil) to boot.  But that's what keeps the economy
>humming.
>
>It makes my teeth grind to think of all the human and physical
>energy wasted when gear like that screen (or a DSLR, to get back on
>topic) is thrown out after so little use.
>
>End of rant.  :-))

A local store just had a sale, with an 18v battery operated drill set
with lots of extras selling for $29Cdn. I bought one because the
battery in my old drill was nearly dead, and the replacement (9.6v)
would cost me $69. The old drill gets tossed.

A stupid waste, but economically it doesn't make sense to replace the
old battery.

--
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design