Subject: [Leica] a day at the dirt track
From: Harvey.Arche at jp2hs.org (Arche, Harvey)
Date: Tue Jun 27 17:33:01 2006

Last saturday I drove up the road a piece to Clarksville, where they have a
race complex that includes a go-kart course, a mud bog, and a 1/8 mile
dragstrip, in addition to the 1/4 dirt oval that was featuring races that
night. Clarksville is the home of Ft. Campbell and the 101st Airborne Div.,
and the town has grown spectacularly since I lived in the area 7 years ago.
The night I was there the track owner annnouced that, because of a big new
sponsorship deal, the track would now be called the 'something something
Propane Speedway', and that starting next week cars would have to race with
mufflers because of the new nearby subdivisions.

At this track they don't let anybody, not even pit crew, onto the infield,
except the officials and guys wearing serious looking camera gear. Honest.
When I asked, they said 'You're a photographer? Sure.' The thing is, after
the first hot lap of warmups, I realized I didn't wany my gear anywhere near
that track because everything quickly gets covered with dirt, or the local
red-clay variety of it, thrown up by the cars.

So I've got three sets of five pictures each, no running cars. Yeah, I
totally wussed.

The Driver's meeting, starting here:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/album404/meeting1

Scenes from the Pit area, starting here:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/album404/pits1

Views of the spectators, starting here:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/album404/crowd1

Tech blab: M2 w/ 35 s'cron; pit pictures mostly APX 100, crowd pictures all
P3200TMX, and meeting pictures all Foma 200 in D76 1:2, which works OK for
me (now, if I could just keep from scratching the stuff).
Arche

Replies: Reply from bdcolen at comcast.net (B. D. Colen) ([Leica] a day at the dirt track)
Reply from dlridings at gmail.com (Daniel Ridings) ([Leica] a day at the dirt track)
Reply from philippe.orlent at pandora.be (Philippe Orlent) ([Leica] a day at the dirt track)