Subject: [Leica] Tale of Two Telyts Part Deax - The Evil Twin
From: rpalmier at depaul.edu (bob palmieri)
Date: Fri Jul 7 07:48:08 2006

> Here's a snap of a blue heron impersonating a stick:
>
> http://gallery.leica-users.org/album409/Camoflage_Heron_Crop

  Phlippe Orlent wrote:

Can't help you with your technical questions, but -with this title-
wouldn't tis one look great in a (slightly warm grey toned) B&W?
Just an idea.
Thanks for showing,
Philippe

Philippe -

Thanks for the suggestion.

Y'know... I tried a B&W version (although I don't think I toned it) and
it revealed the fact that the basic lighting ain't all that great.
Color differences help in this case to create subtle contrasts that are
only apparent in the B&W version when either the overall contrast is
pretty hammered or the channel balance is skewed to the point that the
scene just doesn't look natural any longer.

'Course, it could also be that my "convert to B&W" techniques aren't
the most sophisticated.  Playing with curves for the individual
channels and/or duotoning would probably be the tickets if I hadta get
serious about it.

Also, I'm really trying to get used to this newfangled color
photography thing, which I never really got into until a few years ago
when I shot my first stuff with an SL/Kodachrome/R-lens rig...

Bob Palmieri