Subject: [Leica] OT: Info on a Pentax digital
From: don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory)
Date: Sun Jul 23 08:46:47 2006

Daniel,
There is no catch, Pentax had a low price since the solstice holidays.
Pentax doesn't spend much money on marketing and the CCD in that camera is
getting a little long in the tooth so it is pretty cheap.(Same sensor as the
Nikon D100 you use).  As most things in western economies the costs are not
in the product itself but all the surrounding expenses.  Pentax hopes to
increase market share by having a low price and good margins for dealers.

Specific low points for the camera are relatively low autofocus speed and
relatively poor high ISO performance.  Good things include use of AA
batteries, ability to use a lot of very cheap lenses if you are willing to
be in manual mode as well as a pretty good interface for non program
shooting.

Have your daughter also check out the Nikon D50.  It can be had for $549 if
you use purchase with a 28-90(42-135 equivalent) lens.  Same sensor as the
Pentax.  Not so hot on non automatic settings but high ISO performace is
better as Nikon does a better job of filtering noise.

And you wonder about why Americans own so much...

Don
don.dory@gmail.com