Subject: [Leica] Just curious
From: jbcollier at shaw.ca (John Collier)
Date: Mon Aug 14 08:39:48 2006

Hi Dante,

NAFTA only applies to goods manufactured within the agreed area --
and only certain goods as well. Do not try to mail a 2x4! -- and that
does not exempt the item from sales tax just duties. I wonder if
these same people also complain to their grocer and tailor about the
unreasonable surcharge of sales tax?

I find the US/Canadian post system marvelous. They only charge a $5
brokerage fee compared to $35 or more on ground shipments from the
couriers. Often they do not even bother to collect any duties, taxes
or fees even though it has been assessed. Why I do not know. Between
all my hobbies -- or afflictions as my long suffering spousal unit
calls them -- I receive numerous out-of-country packages. At least
10% come though free of charge. Though I otherwise cheerfully pay my
taxes; I cannot say that this displeases me. After all "there are
none righteous not one; all have sinned and gone astray." and, yada,
yada, tiddly-tum, sometimes I am a rotten one."

Your (mostly) faithful servant,

John Collier

Message from dstella1 at ameritech.net (Dante Stella) ([Leica] Just curious)
Message from jbcollier at shaw.ca (John Collier) ([Leica] Just curious)