Subject: [Leica] OT Nikon Capture
From: drodgers at casefarms.com (David Rodgers)
Date: Mon Sep 18 14:00:57 2006

Adam wrote:

>>That's not what Nikon had in mind - they want to lock in their data
formats. You appear to think that's a fine idea - I think it's
abhorent.<<

I bought one of the very early versions of Nikon Capture. (It's not just
a raw converter, but allows uploading of custom curves and some nifty
remote control stuff). It only cost $100 but they've never come back and
asked for more for upgrades. I guys that's the good news. The bad news
is the effort in upgrading.

My serial number was (and I guess still is) 4 words. I had a system
crash a little over a year ago. Nikon has gone to more traditional (as
in cryptic) SNs. When I tried to reinstall capture by downloading the
latest version it wouldn't take my serial number. I called Nikon tech
support. They told me I had to install my original and then reinstall
all the upgrades. I asked for a newer SN just to make it easier and they
said no. Thus, it took me the better part of an evening to get Nikon
Capture fully installed.

Now I see with the new Capture NCX, or whatever it is, you can only
upgrade one machine. I have two, a desktop and a laptop. My PS license
allows me to to install on both machines. Plus, when I had the system
crash I just called Adobe and they opened up an authorization for me to
reauthenticate. It was easy and painless.

I haven't called Nikon yet so I don't know if I'm now limited to one
install or not. But based on prior dealing I'm afraid that whatever I do
it's not going to be easy, or painless.

I guess you get what you pay for. I can never upgrade my system again or
I'll have to spend a week installing NC. I guess I could buy the latest
version, which isn't much different that paying for an upgrade. But it's
the principle of the thing.

NC is great software for NEFs (Nikon's proprietary format) and overall I
like it and I use it as much as PS.

daveR

Replies: Reply from leicachris at worldnet.att.net (Christopher Williams) ([Leica] Re: OT Nikon Capture)
Reply from philippe.orlent at pandora.be (Philippe Orlent) ([Leica] OT Nikon Capture)