Subject: [Leica] film vs. digital in my brain.
From: datamaster at northcoastphotos.com (Gary Todoroff)
Date: Wed Sep 27 13:52:39 2006

At 12:19 PM 09/27/06, you wrote:
>  Any idiot can get a decent photo with a digital camera -- just
> keep shooting and chimping, then fix it later.
>
>Walt

Sure, any idiot can do plumbing. Just keep trying different fittings,
clean up the flood and fix it later. Any idiot can land an airplane.
Just scrape up the pieces, put on the wings and try again. Give
enough idiots enough time and they will write the Encyclopedia
Britannica - yeah, right, the ultimate chimping!

Walt's statement is akin to saying that a power saw will make a
carpenter. Digital is a powerful tool that increases creativity, but
surely not for "any idiot". I wonder if similar arguments were
expressed when silver halide went from glass plates to
celluloid.  "Any idiot can carry around a roll of film!"

For those of a Leica M persuasion who want a lower cost and more
creative approach to digital than Leica has provided yet, check out
the FourThirds Olympus E-330. It is similar in shape and size to the
M, even with the viewfinder on the left side of the body. I love it
both with the wonderful Zuiko Pro lenses and with my older Leica R
optics. The E-330 articulated LCD opens a whole new world for
composing photographs, too - something Leica (or any other DSLR
company) has yet to discover.

Gary Todoroff
http://northcoastphotos.com/Lympa.htm - Lympa = Leica lenses on Olympus E-330

Message from graham at geebeespaw.freeserve.co.uk (GeeBee) ([Leica] film vs. digital in my brain.)